The 2011 Indiana Undergraduate Research Conference
July 27, 2011
How to get here and there:
- Google maps to Rawles Hall, the home of the Mathematics Department.
- An interactive campus map and a pdf campus map.
- 8:30-9:30 - Registration and reception, Rawles Hall Lounge
- 9:30-10:00 - Opening remarks, Lindley Hall Room 102
- Professor Chris Connell, Director of Undergraduate Studies, Indiana University
- Professor Kevin M. Pilgrim, Indiana University
- Professor Bruce Solomon, Indiana University
- 10:00-12:10 - Parallel sessions
- 12:10-1:45 - Lunch, with some IU graduate students, at the Tudor Room, Indiana Memorial Union
- 1:45-3:20 - Parallel sessions
- 3:30-4:00 - Tea, Rawles Hall Lounge
- 4:00-5:00 - Swain East 105
Professor Matthias Weber, Indiana University
An invitation to minimal surfaces
Minimal Surfaces have attracted mathematicians for over 300 years. While much progress has been made, the key question remains very open: What are the possible topological types of complete, embedded minimal surfaces? I will survey the history of this and related questions, with many picturesque examples.
Note to speakers:
All rooms have the following: blackboard, overhead projector, Mac and PC with USB drives, built-in computer projector, ``vga'' cables for laptop hookup, screen, and internet access. Speakers bringing Mac laptops and laptops with only ``dvi'' output need to bring their own ``vga'' adapter.
Kevin M. Pilgrim